Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Cool Stuff (to an OS geek like me)

I've been reading some very exciting things lately on the computer OS side of things. I am hoping that it will pan out to be at least half as exciting as it looks.

Here's the basic idea: Imagine a computer that you can have Windows XP, openSuSE Linux, kubuntu Linux, Slackware Linux, Mac OSX (maybe), DOS, Unix, FreeBSD, etc on. Yes, all of them. Yes, together. Yes, at the SAME TIME!!! Yes, with a minor hit in performance (nothing like the current emulators though). But, even with the hit in performance, it still ID's all of your hardware as what it actually is (not emulated weak old hardware).

It's coming, soon. Apple has promised to activate the VT portions on their new Intel chips. Microsoft is of course not playing really nice and cooperating completely (but it won't matter soon). Linux has already adapted completely (amazing, imagine a community that actually helps each other out for something outside of monetary gains, but they still gotta eat -- support your freeware/shareware vendors!!!!) And AMD will have VT enabled on all of their CPU's sometime near mid-year this year (similar to the Intel, but different and maybe better).

It's going to take me some money, but once Christmas time comes, I'll be having me a machine with VT...aaahhhh finally able to play Windows games (for my fun stuff) and use the stable/safe and helpful Linux system for my web-surfing, email, word processing, work related stuff. And if anything goes wrong, be back up in minutes vs hours...sooooooo coooool. And I'd get Mac OSX if Apple would let it be installed on non-Apple hardware...too bad they won't make a slightly more expensive release for non-Apple hardware. All on one box, together -- so OS won't matter anymore. No more dual boot (well, I guess I don't anymore anyway, but I could if I wanted). No more two machines side by side.

Flexibility is important in everything we do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home