Friday, March 24, 2006

Computer Geek fun...

Tonight is going to be fun. I get to tear a computer apart, put it back together and build it into something I've wanted for a long time - a TIVO. Ummm, wait, I can't call it that, that would be illegally using a copyrighted name. Let's call it my Myth(TV)-buster. Think TIVO with free software and cheap hardware. Yep, a frugal computer geek. Oh well, you just can't fight your own nature, can you?

I will also be watching whatever rerun episode of BSG is on tonight. I am assuming it is a rerun since the season finale was last week, but SciFi does things so differently than old TV, I don't know. Maybe if I get paragraph one done, I can actually watch the next season of BSG without having to wait for reruns, eh? :)

3 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless it can set up a "wishlist" and tape every episode you want without you having to tell it the where and the when-- it aint a Tivo.

I applaud your geekiness, your ingenuity, and even your frugality. I'm just saying, don't be maligning the miracle box or claim you can make one out of spare electronics parts.

...unless you can. In which case, make me another one, oh Great Geeky One.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger zeke70 said...

I would never bad mouth a great system like Tivo. I just don't want to pay for it. From what I can tell on the MythTV site, it won't read your mind, but it will look up the shows for you and record them all if you tell it to (I think I might have to schedule it though). Plus, right now I only have enough room for somewhere between 18 and 36 hours of shows, so wouldn't want it recording too much for me.

I'm very particular about what I watch, so it's probably not going to be a huge issue with me.

The big thing for me here is that I can record the shows to DVD if I feel I want to. I've grown tired of the old system I currently use (VHS, if I use anything at all). So I'm looking at it as a step up. I will once again gain control of WHEN I watch a show, vs the show controlling any part of my schedule (other than the 30 seconds needed to tell MythTV to record it).

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger zeke70 said...

Well, I just reread the recordings section. It looks like it will do something like you're saying, probably not exactly though. You have to tell it the title and tell it to record all. It will record every single episode on the schedule. Not exactly a "wishlist", but I think it might be close. It has a bunch of other options too, but they are just variations on that (i.e. record one show, record this show everytime today, record this show everytime this week, etc).

I'll believe it when I get it working. If I do get it working, I'll figure a cost out, it probably isn't better for you if you already paid the Tivo lifetime fee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home