Sunday, March 19, 2006

Musical day...

You ever have one of those days that you just want to lay around and listen to music? Today was that day for me.

I must have listened to hundred's of songs from my CD collection. Thank goodness I moved all of my music to my hard drive, or else my "cave" would have been an absolute mess of CD's and CD cases.

Okay, now I'm going to jump right in and ask you, reader to do me a favor. I am going to throw down my list of my favorite top 5 all time albums (albums, not specific musicians or bands or songs, something to pop in and listen from track 1 to track xxx). You'll find my musical tastes land all over the place, but I do have a basic theme. My favor to ask is for you to search your collection and let me have your top 5 all time albums (see my definition above). You can tell me why they are your top 5, or you can just list them. I would like to add to my collection, but I don't like spending money on a "one good song" CD. That's part of why I haven't added to my collection for several years.

Okay, here's mine:

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets - My reason is that this was my first introduction to what has become my favorite band of all time. It's hammering style and lyrics helped me through some tough times (Damage, Incorporated is one of my top 5 favorite headbanging songs).

2. Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - Again, first introduction to one of my favorite bands outside of Metallica (Dave Mustaine was part of Metallica at the beginning). Odd, but some of it's lyrics are self-destructive and those same lyrics helped me through and out of some of my most self-destructive phases. Not sure how that works, but it did.

3. AC/DC - Highway to Hell - Favorite album of my second most favorite band of all time (right behind Metallica). Just a great "fun" album. Sex, drugs and rock n roll, I don't think there is a serious bone in any of their bodies. Best album with Bon Scott singing.

4. Suzanne Vega - 99.9 fahrenheit degrees - Doesn't quite fit with the others above does it? Hmm, just great lyrics and awesome music to back them up. I can pop this in and listen to it over and over and over. Every song is worth listening to.

5. Everlast - Eat at Whitey's - This was a difficult decision, but I think I have to give this one it's props. Solid all the way from Whitey to Graves to Dig.

Biggest competitor to #5 was the Motion Picture Soundtrack to Heavy Metal. Biggest problem with that one is I just can't make myself listen to Open Arms by Air Supply - makes me want to run screaming from the room. But it does have my favorite love song (yes, I actually do have a favorite love song), which is Don Felder's "All of You".

4 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Z,

Before I send you a list, a question of clarifcation. Do "Best of" albums count?

C

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger zeke70 said...

C,

I think I'll have to say no. I guess I'm looking for (in radio terms) "deep tracks". Songs that were never really popular, but are still good to listen to. For example, Damage, Inc. from my #1 album cannot be played on the radio due to the language used, and yet it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

Z

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and difficult question....
Thanks, Zeke! I've had great fun going down memory lane and thinking about the actual albums I used to listen to from top to bottom. I would like to stay home all day and listen to music now...
Here you go:
Fleetwood Mac: Tusk
Prince: Purple Rain
Simon and Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Kate Bush: Hounds of Love
Boston: Boston

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, your answer kind of leaves me out of the question. I don't buy albums. Never have. I can count the albums I've purchased on my fingers-- and if you take away the "best of" compilations, well it might even fit on one hand.

But of that extremely limited sample size, here are my choices.

Billy Joel - Piano Man
Ani DiFranco - Little Plastic Castles

and.. well, the rest just aren't worth listing.

Now you know why I prefer to make up my own cds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home