Friday, April 07, 2006

What a couple of weeks...

Okay, first, a couple of weekends ago, I fought with and tried to get my MythTV setup running. Well, it kind of worked, but I spent most of last week (prior to April Fool's day) trying to get it running with my old hardware. Because I didn't know how much I was going to have left over from my Vegas trip. Lot's of time burnt there.

Now, onto Vegas...let me just leave it at this. When you have a best friend who is not exactly the most mature guy on the planet, and he is dating a woman much, much, much younger than you and him, expect them to break their promise to you of not f*cking around in the room while you are in the room (no wait, I don't mean "making out", I mean "f*cking"). Two words -- NOT COOL!!!

Well, I did okay in Vegas, lost some money, spent some money, got drunk (I only allow myself to drink when in Vegas), had fun overall. So I had some money leftover. I spent a little bit of it on a new set of headphones - those Bose sound dampener/noise reducing headphones. A very good investment for someone who likes to listen to music when flying and who likes to sleep when flying. Really quiets everything down. Not worth it if you don't fly several times a year at least.

I also had enough leftover to buy the new video capture card for my MythTV setup, so it might be a bit "easier" to get working. I do believe the saying is "YEAH, RIGHT..." Ouch, I've spent another 8 hours on it this week so far trying to get it working, not there yet.

Then, I decided to go get some things fixed on my truck. That may have been a back breaker for my savings plan for this paycheck...new fuel pump (still don't have a price yet), oil change, fuel filter and TRANSMISSION problems. My mechanic and I decided not to fix the transmission issues because it would cost more to fix than to buy a used/refurbed one. At least I can trust him to tell the truth. He also said that I could skip any fix at all and deal with the issue that is happening. I can do that and it shouldn't hurt the vehicle at all (well, maybe the transmission, but that's already broke a little bit anyway). Total cost will be in the $500 range for the rest of the work being done.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my friend, deserve a vacation...

... and a Tivo...

... and a new travel partner for your Vegas trips...
someone a little more mature, perhaps,
who is married, maybe...

(not that I have anyone in particulare in mind)


Hang in there. (And good luck erasing the brain imagery.)

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, he's right. I'd love to go!
(hee, hee)
So did you get the Bose headphones as a reaction to the loud hotel room buddies? Maybe you should have invested in a blindfold too....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home