Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Painfully frugal...

1st, an update to yesterday's post...jill was very right, it would have been VERY poor etiquette to not have verified the email. The guy had accidentally sent the email to the wrong person (me), rather than the right person (his boss). Phew, glad I sent my verification email!

Now onto my regularly scheduled post:

I am painfully frugal. I admit it. However, please note that this does not equate to "cheap". I buy things that I want still (albeit usually after I have waited for the initial MSRP to no longer be in effect), I definitely get the things I need and I try to find ways to get other things that I really want "right now".

What are my reasons for this, you might ask? Well, I think they are actually more noble than they might look or sound. Lots of people look at what I do and might equate it to greed...nope, I really don't love money at all (in fact, sometimes I wish that bartering were back in vogue). They look at what I do and call it cheap...nope, I actually buy either high or very high quality items.

No, the original reason I started on my trek for zero debt was simple. I wanted my freedom back. I didn't like being a slave to the companies I owed money to or to the job that I hated. C's parental unit made a great comment to me on Saturday. She said, "Well, you could always quit and live on what you have saved up." She's right, I could if I felt I needed to. This frugality has given me the freedom to walk away (I could actually lose my job and still survive just fine - on my own, not living in my 'rent's basement - for upwards of 1 year and if I pushed the panic button, 2 years). I don't know if I can express how wonderful that feeling is.

But now that I am on my way, I am seeing other things to do with my money. One mini example, I could go and get myself a newer/new little car that gets good gas mileage. Pay a little now to help where I can in the oil crisis and maybe help down the road for all of us (a little bit by all of us would help tremendously). Or, I could help a church out getting something done that the budget just hasn't been there for. Or help my niece get a new computer for college when she goes next fall. Or give the guy that needs a hand up $50 to get a room to clean up in so he can go and try to get a job (because he actually wants a job). Or, I could keep investing it so I get to my financial freedom sooner. I don't know, but I could do any of these things with it.

And then, when I have reached my financial goals, what then? Well, I like what my financial advisor book guru guy (Dave Ramsey) has to say: "We built this financial superbody for a reason. To have FUN, INVEST and GIVE." Because they are truly the only 3 really good uses for money anyway. I might be just guessing, but I think for most of us, GIVING would be so much FUN...

This plan I'm on won't be easy (it hasn't been thus far, that's for sure), but I really think it will be worth it in the end. And for those just starting on this run (or in the middle of it), trust me, even the water tastes sweeter on this side! :)

Now, I have to ask a question, mostly directed to C & C (because they know Madtown much better than I ever did and they probably know me better than I ever have) but to any others out there. I do feel a bit like a bum. I've been doing all this saving and saving and saving, but I haven't given anything back to the community. With my talents (as you know them), what organizations out there could use me? I'm thinking of volunteering, but I haven't a clue as to where I should volunteer or even what I might be good at helping with. Maybe a food kitchen? But maybe something else? Hell, I don't even know what I could do to help, and I sure don't know where to start. Maybe one evening every couple of weeks to start with and see where it goes from there, but first I've got to find the place to help. Email me, post a comment, phone call, whatever. Thanks, people!

2 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very cool!
I agree with you on the three main reasons to have money. I look forward to returning to our gift budget. Tightening the belt there hurt the most!
I would suggest looking up the United Way or calling First U. I am sure they have ideas of community need, and we have some contacts there to hook you up with if you'd like.
Good luck. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... just when I think you can't get any cooler.
How am I supposed to give you crap after that sermon.
I guess I'll just have to help you express the good person you are.

CLD is right. For volunteering, the United Way is the clearing house. They have a web page dedicated to helping people find the right volunteer opportunity for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home