Sunday, April 23, 2006

Las Vegas, part deux

Last night, I was out with some friends (down at one of my very oldest favorite hangouts - hasn't changed a bit in 13 years, except for the bartender).

I was telling the story of the first phone call I ever got from my friend's new fiancee after she had seen my picture. Here's kind of how the conversation went (I don't remember word for word, but this is close).

Me: (not recognizing the phone number, in a slightly grumpy tone) "Hello?"

Friend's Fiancee (FF): "You are so hot, you look just like George Clooney!"

Me: (my "who the h*ll is this?" tone) "What?"

FF: "You look like George Clooney and I'm going to marry YOU out in Las Vegas!"

Me: (okay, it's her, WTF did she just say?) "What?"

FF: "You are so hot, I am imagining threesomes out there."

Me: (WTF did she just say? Laughingly...) "What?"

FF: " I just wanted to tell you that."

Me: (WTF is this?) "Oh, okay..."

Phone call ended.

Now, normally, I would consider the comment about George Clooney a compliment. However, in the context above, it just made me REALLY uncomfortable. I DON'T mess at all with my best friends girl friends and/or wives, mostly because (forgive me, all you wives and girlfriends of my best friends and all of the other women I have met) I haven't met a woman yet that was worth the friendships these 5 men have given me in my lifetime.

So there I am, feeling kind of weird and uncomfortable about all of this. I'm sitting at the blackjack tables in Vegas, trying to get away from those two for a bit. Three women come down and sit around me at the table - one somewhat attractive a few years younger, one attractive looking about my age, and one other that was a good 10 years younger (attractive except for the fact that she was blind, stinking, stumbling, damn near drooling drunk - not a good look for anyone). Not a bad thing for a single man sitting at a blackjack table, so I smiled and said "Hello". Response from woman my age "You look just like George Clooney."

Now imagine Michael Bolton from the movie "Office Space". I'm beginning to not like George Clooney very much...

2 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I know I was slightly inebriated last night when you told this story-- but I'm DAMN sure you didn't share some of those details with us at the bar.

EWWWWW!!!!!

a) You don't look like George Clooney.

b) If people think you do-- accept their delusional status and work with it. (And stop #@#% whining about people thinking you look like a rich sex symbol.)

c) C says "Amen to that" on friends being more important than gettin' some.

d) And finally-- OMG. That is going to be one very, very, very uncomfortable wedding ceremony.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger zeke70 said...

Okay,

a) I agree completely

b) NO, that is not an acceptable answer. (And if I was half that good looking, I would actually stop #@#% whining about it!)

c) Of course, a combined friendship total over 100 years is never worth either one night or even a long term relationship if it hurts one of your best friends that badly.

d) Ya THINK?!?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home