Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SW Wisconsin

I had to drive around SW Wisconsin all day today. Looking at some old bridges. I love this part of my profession, getting to go out and check things out in the "real" world, where the rubber hits the road as it were. It's fun to make paper drawings, but it's really cool to be able to go physically touch the idea you had...

If I had my dithers, this part of the country is one where I'd want to live and work. Amongst the bluffs and ridges and rivers and creeks is definitely my style. Lots of places to just disappear...

Too bad it's also one of the most economically depressed parts of the state, so there isn't much demand for workers, of any profession. It took severe beatings in the recession of '81 and the recession of '91 and has never recovered. The farm foreclosures of the mid-'80's did not help, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home