Friday, May 05, 2006

"The Dilbert Principle"

Hmmm, a comment from my friend C on my last post reminded me of this book. I find that it is a classic.

Actually, not the entire book, because, well, I really don't care about management styles as they rarely effect my work (no, really, they don't matter as long as I come up with my designs, everything is cool, even when I don't put the cover on my TPS report).

Nope, just chapter 14: Engineers, Scientists, Programmers and Other Odd People. Scott Adams insight into how we work is so amazingly accurate, I was actually stunned the first time I read it (after I wiped the tears away from my laughing so dang hard).

Example lifted from text (I call this the "socially skittish" part of my personality, he calls it as it is :)):

' "Normal" people expect to accomplish several unrealistic things from social interaction:
Stimulating and thought-provoking conversation
Important social contacts
A feeling of connectedness with other humans'

Later in the same chapter:

' In contrast to "normal" people, engineers have rational objectives for social interactions:
Get it over with as soon as possible.
Avoid getting invited to something unpleasant.
Demonstrate mental superiority and mastery of all subjects.'

Yep, guilty as charged. The truth only hurts if you let it, and I let this truth hurt by making my insides hurt from laughing so stinking hard. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home