Sunday, May 07, 2006

Frugal Geekiness is back in full swing...

Well, the title of the post says it all. I'm building my own projector.

Yep, you read that right, my own projector. But I'm using someone else's idea.

No, it will not be a spiffy little sexy little box that hangs from the ceiling. I don't care about how "sexy" my stuff is right at this point. I want to prove to myself that I can do it. I'm using this idea. Yes, I will actually own an overhead projector like from middle school, high school and college. I went and bought a 15" LCD monitor and have it torn apart and ready to go (I'll show pictures when I have it all together).

If I can get it all working, I am going to need to build a box to contain it. Reason: If you don't remember, those projectors can be really noisy with the fans blowing, etc. Also, I would like the final project to look more "finished" than an overhead projector with some electronics lying on top of the glass.

Okay, why am I even attempting this? You guessed it, cost. Bottom line, to get an XGA (1024x768 pixel) projector from a Compusa or Circuit City or Best Buy or whereever, you are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2500, on the low end. High end, well, let's just say there is no way I can go there. And LCD big screen TV's are still well out of my price range as well (maybe in 5 years or so). Total cost of my projector when it is built - ballpark figure is $350, XGA projector. I'm willing to risk it for that reward. Odds are, performance wise it will be in the lower end of performance. That's okay, but if I get a little better than that, great! Oh, one more note on cost - the little projectors that you buy in those box stores, the lamps go for several thousand hours, but cost several hundred dollars a piece. The cost for replacing the bulbs in the overhead projector? Somewhere about $30/bulb for somewhere in the range of 50-100 hours. Basically, over a long enough time line, these projectors will be equal cost wise. But over that same time line, I hope to upgrade once I am landed and in an actual house vs. apartment. Big screen LCD (or Plasma) is really the way to go for you home movie freaks like me.

Note to other guys who might think about attempting this: The gaf and waf are incredibly low with this thing (gaf = girlfriend acceptance factor, waf = wife acceptance factor). Only with a properly finished box will you have a chance! :) Me being single allows me the freedom to try this stuff without that little voice over my shoulder "How freaking big is that thing going to be? And you want to put it in MY living room? That is just ugly...I don't think so!"

One final note on cost: I am not including the cost of buying the screen for viewing. Reason: the only option that I have that does not require a projection screen is the big-screen LCD/Plasma and those are way out of my price range. So that part of the project is a wash. I am expecting somewhere in the $110 to $200 range for the size I will need (or I might try a DIY for that too :P).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home