Thursday, July 27, 2006

Now I'm grumpy

WARNING: This post contains a vigorous sprinkling of a potty-mouthed, tired and grumpy engineer...I apologize in advance to anyone offended by my language, but I could care less right now!

Well, as I figured, my dad had a snowball's chance in hell to talk my co-worker out of quitting...it's official, he put in his notice this morning.

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

I know it's better for him to be the heck out of this job, but I am so fucked right now! I was counting on him to be my right hand man up in Appleton for these two jobs up there this fall...now I will have me and 3 guys who have NEVER been on a construction job before as my crew up there! FUCK! I realize that what we do is NOT rocket science, but it is difficult to know all of the specifications, etc. I am not worried that the guys won't be able to figure out the technical side of what is going on, I mean, come on, I could teach any one of you how to handle the basic portion of the job. It's the fact that this may be one of the most complex overall jobs I have ever worked, due to its speed of construction requirement (25 working days) and the unbelievable restrictions on us restricting traffic (yep, its as confusing as the sentence I just wrote).

FUCK!

Then, the other job that is supposed to happen up there (job #2) could possibly start in the middle of job #1 discussed above. Job #2 will be fairly straight forward and simple. Problem is, if they are both going on at the same time, I am FUCKED! Basically, job #1 is allowed to work 21 hours a day. From what I have discussed with the contractor on the job, he will be using 21 hours a day (GREAT!). Okay, now job #2 starts and works just daytimes. I have to watch this job, because I won't trust anyone else on it from my "green" crew (if the guy who quit was going up there with me, job #2 would have been all his). Well, my crew is green, so I have to work at least part of the overnight on job #1 to make sure the traffic control is set up. Then I have to work the entire next day taking care of job #2, then right back to job #1 in the evening. Anybody know when I'm going to sleep?

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

One upside (in a really sick sort of way) is that I will easily fill my 3 weeks worth of comp time allowed and probably still get some extra hours paid at straight time, so I should be well compensated for nearly killing myself.

And I will admit, I've always loved a challenge...

I've asked for help, but there is none to be had...remember my least favorite boss? He wouldn't let my father or the other cost center leaders hire anyone because billability was too low earlier in the year. Well, shit!

Oh, and did I mention that I'm very concerned about traffic control on job #1? It just so happens that this spring 2 highway maintenance crew members were KILLED at the very start of this job! FUCK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home